« September 27th @ The Orioles | Main | Alan Embree »

September 28, 2005

A-Rod Lately

Alex has 16 whiffs in his last 11 games. Is it just me, or, at this time of the year, and given the standings, etc., do you want to see more contact from A-Rod?

Yes, he also has 11 hits and 7 BB in those 11 games. But, and maybe I'm just being pissy, should an MVP candidate be doing more?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at September 28, 2005 12:11 AM

Comments

Why highlight the K's. There no worse then other outs?
He's also had some monster Hr's during that time. OUr bullpen gives us enought to worry about

Posted by: eddy at September 28, 2005 08:07 AM

The K's are a very valid point. He's batting over .300 with an OPS over 1.00 in September and he's got 23 RBI which is one short of matching the top output of any other month of the season for him. And yet, I also look at the K's and wonder what the hell is going on. He took strike 3 looking on a perfect meatball pitch in the 4th inning. Fortunately Sheff cleaned up for us so it didn't matter as much but you've got to wonder -- what's the deal with all these K's?

PS - this is my first time on your site. As a diehard Yankee fan, I love it and plan on making it a daily read.

Posted by: MJ at September 28, 2005 08:52 AM

I could be wrong but I think he started K'ing a lot more frequently after being hit in Toronto.

Posted by: JJay at September 28, 2005 09:50 AM

To be honest, I don't remember the specific beaning in Toronto but yes, he might be a bit banged up. All I know is that you can't win an MVP or a pennant by staring at a fat Bruce Chen pitch down the middle with 2 on and 1 out.

But I don't want to belabor the point because I'm in ARod's corner. I hope there's some fire in him for the last weekend. I want to see Sheffield and ARod beat up the Green Monster again like they did in July.

Posted by: MJ at September 28, 2005 10:03 AM

"I want to see Sheffield and ARod beat up the Green Monster again like they did in July."

What a great weekend series that was. Beating Schilling his first time back. Al Leiter dominating the Sox. A-Rod and Sheff just hitting bombs everywhere.

Probably could've swept all four if we didn't start...who was it? Franklin? I can't even remember.

Posted by: JJay at September 28, 2005 11:10 AM

When you have A-Rod's caliber of talent*, there's a fine line between pushing too much and playing "loose": Not necessarily in a reckless fashion, just relaxed enough that you let your talent take over.

*(We all know that in 10 years Alex could be considered the greatest to ever lace them up)

Posted by: Jason O. at September 28, 2005 11:18 AM

JJay, that was one of my favorite weekends of the summer. The only game we lost was the Friday night game when we got smoked 17-1 for the 2nd time vs. Boston. The losing pitcher was the Darrell May/Tim Redding combo who we got in the Quantrill trade. That was the game that Melky Cabrera misplayed a ball in CF and it ended being an inside the park 3-run homer. Horrible.

Posted by: MJ at September 28, 2005 11:40 AM

Ah, thanks MJ. Couldn't remember which scrub started that game. I remember saying, "F it, I'm going out," as soon as Melky mis-played that ball.

And completely off-topic (or even more off-topic I should say) but I'd say that a good 75% of inside the park homers involve some kind of error that's never issued.

Posted by: JJay at September 28, 2005 11:48 AM

Also, speaking of errors, someone needs to go cram a fist up the Baltimore official scorer's nose. ARod's ball of the base of the RF wall last night was ABSOLUTELY a two-base hit and thus an RBI.

Posted by: MJ at September 28, 2005 12:24 PM

If the ball comes off the wall and does not bounce directly into the glove of the outfielder with a good arm, that's almost always a double. Double with Jeter on the bases is an RBI 100% of the time. There's no excuse for that scoring.

Posted by: hopbitters at September 28, 2005 01:19 PM

Re: The Whiffs. I've noticed it too, and it's darn frustrating. However, when we're talking this kind of overall production, so long as it's coupled with decent OBP%, I can live with it! Memories of Mantle, anyone? Or Reggie Jackson? Boy they struck out a lot.

Posted by: Paul in Boston at September 28, 2005 01:43 PM

MJ - thanks for the kind words.

On the K-thing, for me, it's this:

Yes, A-Rod is batting .308/.417/.590 in his last 11 games, with the 16 Ks, but, just think how much better those numbers could be, if he was putting the ball in play more often - or, at least better than just 60% of the time, like he is now?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 28, 2005 02:11 PM

My pleasure Steve. The day's a lot brighter here at work when I can talk Yankee with all you folks. It actually sort of cheers me up because believe me, I've got agita like you wouldn't believe. I can barely watch the games without freaking out a little bit. Yes, I know, I need help. I take this stuff too seriously.

Posted by: MJ at September 28, 2005 02:36 PM

Trust me - you are not alone!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 28, 2005 02:55 PM

Arod has always K'd a lot. Studies have shown that K's are no worse than any other kind of out. Less balls in play, but also less chance of grounding into double plays.

Would you turn down an Adam dunn and his 40 Hr's because he k's a lot??

It's really a non issue keeping in mind that his overall production has been excellent

Posted by: eddy at September 28, 2005 03:45 PM

But, at the pace of his last 11 games, that's like 230 Ks for the season. That's an alarming high rate for someone at his talent level. Could be a sign that he's pressing.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 28, 2005 04:51 PM

=================================

Not necessarily; k's can come in streaks/bunches, like anything else

Posted by: Raf at September 28, 2005 06:02 PM

No question there. But, why *now*?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at September 28, 2005 06:51 PM

//Also, speaking of errors, someone needs to go cram a fist up the Baltimore official scorer's nose. //

The scorer changed his ruling today. A-Rod was credited with the RBI.

Posted by: Jen at September 28, 2005 09:13 PM

No question there. But, why *now*?
======

Peaks & valleys of the season. You know that...

Posted by: Raf at September 28, 2005 10:28 PM