« August 4th @ The Indians | Main | Bad Scout »

August 05, 2005

Sheff Speaks

From the News:

Gary Sheffield has news for Yankee fans: Derek Jeter ain't the leader of this pack. "I know who the leader is on the team," Sheffield said in an explosive New York magazine interview set to hit newsstands Monday.

Sheffield, who has a reputation for being prickly and outspoken, doesn't stop there.

The 17-year veteran blasts the media for hyping team captain Jeter and third baseman Alex Rodriguez over every other player on the team - and says the Yankees lack family values, chemistry and trust. "Why shouldn't I tell the truth?" Sheffield told writer Stephen Rodrick. "I ain't trying to get no Pepsi commercial."

While you always hate to see your dirty laundry out in public, I must also admit here that I think what Gary is saying above is true.

Will this hurt or help the team? Well, for what it's worth, they did win the year that the "Straw that stirs the drink" story ran - so, who knows?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 5, 2005 08:27 AM

Comments

It seems an unnecessary, and maybe even divisive comment. I think most sane people do not think that Jeter=Yankees or A-Rod=Yankees or whatever. But now Sheffield is going to spur speculation on exactly who IS the leader of the team. Remember Reggie vs Thurman?

Posted by: Makofab at August 5, 2005 08:39 AM

When he says "I ain't going to say who it is, but I know who it is. I know who the team feeds off. I know who the opposing team comes in knowing they have to defend to stop the Yankees."

You know he's not talking about Posada, Tino, or Cano.

Actually, I think he's saying that it's himself or A-Rod. But, if it came out that he's talking about Mo, that would not shock me.

Notice Rivera being more of a cheerleader this year? I also think he's the voice of reason and calm for the Yankees in many situations.

If it comes out that he meant Mariano, I could see that being true.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 5, 2005 08:55 AM

A baseball team doesn't need leaders, it doesn't need captains (what is this, high school?).

The game simply isn't set up that way. This isn't basketball, or football.

Posted by: Raf at August 5, 2005 09:08 AM

He's gotta be referring to A-Rod. Ever since Sheff's comments before the Sox series and the performance those two put on and the eratic high fives those guys have been "bro's".

Posted by: JJay at August 5, 2005 09:28 AM

FWIW, I did notice in the 1st game of this series, when A-Rod homered, and he met Sheff at the plate, he actually played the bongos, lightly, on the top of Gary's batting helmet. I never saw that before.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 5, 2005 09:44 AM

Bravo...the team needs the equivalent of a glass of water in the face. Hopefully everyone gets a little pissed off and plays better than the first 8 innings last night.

Posted by: Jason O. at August 5, 2005 09:47 AM

It's just Gary being Gary.

Posted by: Jen at August 5, 2005 10:09 AM

LOL. 2nd time this AM already that I heard someone use that line Jen.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 5, 2005 10:24 AM

>> I think most sane people do not think that Jeter=Yankees or A-Rod=Yankees or whatever.

We're talking about the media and Yankee fans here, Mako. Don't be bringing sanity into the equation.

Besides, it's obvious he's talking about Kevin Brown.

Posted by: hopbitters at August 5, 2005 10:28 AM

Kevin Brown?! For shame! We all know it's Wayne Franklin.

Posted by: Nick at August 5, 2005 11:01 AM

who did a pepsi commercial?

Posted by: philly phil at August 5, 2005 11:33 AM

A-Rod.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 5, 2005 11:36 AM

And Vlad, and Sammy Sosa.

But Guerrero & ARod's commercial was better :D.

Saw it first on Univision, actually

Posted by: Raf at August 5, 2005 12:01 PM

Giambi did a Pepsi commercial with Sosa.

Posted by: Ryan at August 5, 2005 12:50 PM

It's unneccessary and it cannot be of any benefit to the team - only detriment. Who cares what the media thinks or portrays? Apparently Sheff does and that is disappointing. If he really understood the media, he'd know that talking to them like this feeds into them and only creates more garbage. I hope he's not doing it because he's jealous for attention.

At any rate, Sheff has built up a good feeling trust fund, if you will, with me. I love the guy. He's done a bunch of good and this is the only "bad" thing he's done, in my opinion. So, I'm willing to cut him some slack here.

Posted by: Patrick at August 5, 2005 05:56 PM

Reading Sheffield's reaction, I'm inclined to believe him when he says he was misquoted and misunderstood.

Media... bleh.