« Yankees Test Results | Main | Not Funny »

August 03, 2005

August 3rd @ The Indians

17 days ago, the Yankees were in 1st place. Now, they're 4.5 games out of first. Maybe it's just me, but, things are heading in the wrong direction.

Lots of bad looks on the Yankees faces today. I suspect that something is up.

Robinson Cano had a nightmare of a game tonight - an absolute bomb of a game. What is interesting is that he was scheduled to be on a noon chat on ESPN.com today, but, reportedly, "MLB called a mandatory meeting so he had to push back."

I cannot help but wonder if this meeting is somehow tied to the Yankees testing last week?

I have a bad feeling. I'm going to watch the post-game now on YES to see if I can pick something up.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 3, 2005 10:39 PM

Comments

The Yankees problem tonight was not Robby. It was Mussina's inexplicable (although common) meltdown. Can we find one consistent pitcher? As things stand, we need a major run right now or this season will be over.

Posted by: josh at August 3, 2005 11:13 PM

Was this a Yankees meeting or was if all of MLB?

Posted by: Jen at August 3, 2005 11:25 PM

I think Cano just needs a day off. Put Womack in at second (just for a day). I hope thats all it is.

Posted by: Mike Z at August 3, 2005 11:44 PM

I can't wait until Mussina is an ex-Yankee. But he's here through 2006, at least, with a club option for 2007.

Posted by: Don at August 4, 2005 12:33 AM

Mussina was a good pitcher for NY in 2001 and 2003. So, I don't have a huge issue with his signing. But, that said, he was probably on the path to the HOF when the Yankees signed him. And, now, well, he's no lock, for sure.

It's a shame that he never learned from watching someone like Maddux. Moose throws too many pitches after he gets ahead in the count. Thus, he runs up his total pitch count too fast. At this stage/age, Mussina should be thinking about getting a guy out in 4 pitches or less - not being cute until you lose him or have to come in with a pitch.

Jen - I have no idea on the meeting. I looked last night and found nothing. I'm going to ask around today.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 4, 2005 07:53 AM

Update: According to PETE CALDERA of THE RECORD, it was "a brief team meeting" before the game. That's all that was said.

Why have the meeting? Because of the loss on Tuesday? What was to discuss - that Leiter cannot throw strikes?

I still think something is up. The way the team looked - the look on Matsui's face, one point in the game, and Mattingly, and Cano being mentally MIA, I dunno, it's like they got some bad news and were in a trance for the game.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 4, 2005 08:01 AM

=========================================

Pitching isn't that simple. Maddux is a sinker/slider/changeup pitcher that has hellacious movement on his pitches. Moose isn't that way.

Anyway, Cone tried the "Maddux approach" and it didn't work for him

Posted by: Raf at August 4, 2005 09:18 AM

According to Neyer/James, the sinker is Mad Dog's 6th pitch - following the fastball, circle change, slider, cut fastballl, and split.

I believe that Mussina has a fastball and change - and a slider too. He could, as any pitcher could, learn from Maddux on how to get batters out and not waste pitches.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 4, 2005 09:34 AM

Relax SL, I think the "mandatory" meeting by MLB is a heads up from the league offices to all teams and players about what Congress has told Selig about new drug standards/suspensions, et al. coming down the pike after Palmiero.

I'm gonna start calling you Oliver Stone....I think the long faces on Matsui, etc. in the dugout was the effect of losing a 4 run lead in 20 minutes.

Posted by: Jason O. at August 4, 2005 09:44 AM

Well, Oliver Stone would be better handle than Chicken Little........ {wink}

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 4, 2005 09:53 AM

Did Cano ever have the chat? ESPN says it was pushed back until 1, but I can't find a link to the transcript.

Posted by: K at August 4, 2005 10:09 AM

I had the sound off. What was the deal with the two-strike bunt? Missed sign?

Posted by: hopbitters at August 4, 2005 10:18 AM

K - I never found the chat either. I'm guessing he called that one too?

The bunt: Torre implied in the post-game that he was confused. He said that he would never take the bat out of his hands like that with 2 strikes.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 4, 2005 02:36 PM

thanks boss

Posted by: k at August 4, 2005 03:18 PM

IIRC, Moose has a fb, slider, knuckle curve, & change.

Even so, he doesn't have nearly the movement on his pitches that Maddux does.

Pitchers have their own style. Some have an arsenal of pitches to throw at you, some use different windups/arm angles, some use brute power, some use finesse.

Posted by: Raf at August 4, 2005 03:46 PM