« Not A No-No To Me | Main | Against All Odds? »

August 23, 2005

August 23rd vs. The Blue Jays

If you missed this game, click here to experience what it was like watching it.

A great effort from Leiter. Yankees down by two in the 6th - get one there to cut the lead and another in the 7th to tie. They fall behind again in the 8th by one and come back in the bottom of that frame with one more to tie again (on a big Bernie hit). They allow another in the 9th to fall one back again - and then score two in the bottom of the 9th to win - the first run on a Godzilla HR to tie and then with the GWRBI coming with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the batter (who just happened to be Felix Escalona!).

I did not see the post-game on YES - so, I have no idea if this was confirmed, but, on the replay of the Matsui HR in the 9th to tie the game, when they showed the Yankees dugout, I'm pretty sure that Jeter said to A-Rod "I told you."

How cool is that?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at August 23, 2005 11:14 PM

Comments

I saw that too. It was not mentioned on the post-game show.

Posted by: jkay at August 24, 2005 09:19 AM

Steve, last nights game was the epitome of the season. Highs and lows, from batter to batter, and inning to inning! Three times, I thought the Yanks had won the game and three times I thought the game was an L. This team drives me nuts! But it was a great win.

Posted by: Dom at August 24, 2005 09:37 AM

It's weird, they're not driving me as nuts as they did in the beginning of the year. I guess it's because they have had a few come-from-behind wins in the past month or so and I'm less likely to write them off. See-saw games like this have become more exciting and less heartburn inducing (for me anyways).

Posted by: Jen at August 24, 2005 09:58 AM

Funny, when it was 3-2 and then 4-3, I felt the same way - that this, under normal conditions, would be a painful loss - - but, because of all the painful losses already this year, it (the potential loss last night) would have not hurt as much - - - because all the others so far this year had numbed me out.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 24, 2005 10:11 AM

//I saw that too. It was not mentioned on the post-game show.//

Thanks! So, my eyes are not as bad as I thought!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 24, 2005 10:16 AM

Steve, it looks like RJ is going to get some help from a guy who used to advise him - Joe Kerrigan:

(Didn't want to put this under the "Unit and Ryan" thread as I figured no one would see it there)

Posted by: Shaun P at August 24, 2005 10:37 AM

Thanks!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 24, 2005 11:10 AM

Just saw this from the AP on this game:

**New York's 5-4 victory over Toronto on Tuesday night included a comeback not seen in the American League in 56 years.

The Yankees became the first AL team to erase deficits in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings to win in the ninth since the Washington Senators against the St. Louis Browns on May 21, 1949, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The only other team with a similar comeback victory was the Boston Red Sox in 1938, also against the Browns. **

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at August 25, 2005 02:07 PM