« The Gauntlet | Main | Jeffrey Maier Today »

July 07, 2005

Yanks Really Melking It?

This just in:

The Trenton Thunder, the Double-A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that Melky Cabrera, who began the 2005 season with the Thunder, has been promoted to the New York Yankees and is scheduled to start tonight against Cleveland.

Cabrera was the Opening Day centerfielder in Trenton where he batted .267 with 9 HR and 44 RBI in 75 games. He holds a share of the longest hitting streak for the Thunder this season- nine games. While with the Thunder, the 20-year-old was named to the XM Satellite Radio All-Star "Futures Game" on Sunday, July 10th at Comerica Park in Detroit, MI.

On June 28, Cabrera was promoted to AAA Columbus where he batted .324 with 3 HR and 11 RBI in 9 games.

Cabrera is in his 4th professional season since being signed as a non-drafted free agent (11/13/01) by the Yankees.

How many 20-year-olds have played CF for the Yankees? Stan Javier, Ross Moschitto, Mickey Mantle, Tony Kubek, Bill Lamar, Alex Burr?

Now, there's a trivia question!

Does this mean Womack is going to be traded today?

UPDATE: Now Newsday is running with the story too:

The Yankees are bringing outfielder Melky Cabrera, one of their top prospects, to the major leagues today, Newsday has learned.

Cabrera, a 20-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, was just promoted to the Yankees' Triple-A Columbus affiliate last week. He is expected to see significant time in centerfield, where the Yankees have struggled all season.

In nine games with Columbus, Cabrera hit .324 with three home runs and 11 RBI, compiling a .425 on-base percentage and .647 slugging percentage. Prior to his promotion, he played 75 games for Double-A Trenton and hit .267 with nine homer and 44 RBI, recording a .310 on-base percentage and .413 slugging percentage.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 7, 2005 12:13 PM

Comments

According to my rough count, Melky has 1,120 *career* At Bats as a professional (to date). What a rush job.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 7, 2005 12:46 PM

I think the Yankees are looking for a plus defender (which he seems to be with a strong arm and excellent range). If he hits, it's a bonus. He's better than Womack and Crosby now. And there's always the chance that he hits the ground running and provides good offense as well. BTW, this move probably means they're not planning to trade him. The risk of exposing him in the bigs would have precluded bring him up if they were really dangling him.

Posted by: JohnnyC at July 7, 2005 12:55 PM

I just hope he turns into the next Vada Pinson and not the next Cecil Espy.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 7, 2005 01:01 PM

Steve, the waves of nostalgia are crashing onto the shore of my consciousness. Ross Moschitto, Stan Javier (I actually worked with his sister at one point), Vada Pinson...

Maybe Gene Michael really is in charge again.

Posted by: JohnnyC at July 7, 2005 01:20 PM

The return of Stickball! Cool.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 7, 2005 01:23 PM

We wont know its a rush job unless and until he fails, badly. Otherwise, it isn't a rush job.

How's that for spin!

Posted by: Don at July 7, 2005 01:56 PM

This is certainly intriguing. I doubt he's ready but who knows? We certainly need the OF help. Word is that at the Tampa meeting last week, George wanted to bring up Melky immediately and had to be calmed down. Perhaps he's up only until the all-star break to see how he responds to the show. And I wouldn't rule out that we're showcasing him - the logic to the assumption that he'll be "exposed" and thus be of less interest to other teams escapes me. I'll say this: he has a great baseball name. I hope he's half as good as Miggy Cabrera.

Posted by: Josh at July 7, 2005 02:18 PM

What I think they want to see in the Bronx:

**The Senators had an opportunity in the bottom of the ninth with two outs when Jesus Feliciano sent a drive to center field that Melky Cabrera made a great play to rob Feliciano of a game winning hit.**

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 7, 2005 02:20 PM

I just happened to be at that game in Harrisburg. It was a nice play but it wasn't like he was Tori Hunter or Ozzie Smith.

Posted by: Windowdog at July 7, 2005 03:19 PM

*This* is why I'm so glad I started a blog. Where else would I have this scouting network. Thanks windowdog!

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 7, 2005 03:29 PM