« Tony Roth | Main | Dennys Reyes »

July 26, 2005

Ruben Rivera

From The Record:

As a result, the Yankees have considered the possibility of re-signing Ruben Rivera out of the Mexican League, while keeping an eye on Colorado’s Eric Byrnes and the Texas Rangers’ Gary Matthews Jr.

At 31, Rivera is said to still possess the skills of is still considered a very good defensive outfielder, which is the Yanks’ primary requirement.

Rivera last played in the majors in 2003, with San Francisco.

Great. Psssst, buddy. Wanna buy a Jeter glove? Just great. Maybe Michael Kay has ESP or something?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 26, 2005 09:57 AM

Comments

Please, Cashman, be done with this and get Eric Byrnes. I know Bill James has taught us that non-quantifiable attributes are meaningless, but screw that in this case: Eric Byrnes plays like he wants it more than everyone else.

Posted by: Jason O. at July 26, 2005 11:09 AM

Gary Matthews is out of the picture- with Nix going down for the season.

I still like Randy Winn...but the rumblings are that he can not cover enough ground...

Posted by: philly phil at July 26, 2005 12:19 PM

I'm with Jason O. 110%. All these other names being thrown around hardly even seem like an upgrade over Bernie/Bubba. Obviously Sizemore would be nice but just 'cause a scout viewed him in a game means nothing. Why would they move him?

Posted by: JJay at July 26, 2005 12:24 PM

======================

Franklyn Gutierrez?

Posted by: Raf at July 26, 2005 01:10 PM

Is Byrnes really a CF?

Mike Francessa said the Winn deal appears nearly done. I say 'YAWN'.

Posted by: Don at July 26, 2005 01:42 PM

raf, Gutierrez while one of the best pure power prospects in baseball is a corner outfielder. don't seee why Cleveland would trade Sizemore away since he's not blocking Gutierrez. And I wouldn't trade Cano for Sizemore if I were the Yankees even though I think Sizemore is the real deal with speed, hustle, OBP and line-drive ability. Yankees can't afford to plug one hole by ripping a brand new one somewhere else.

Posted by: Johnny at July 26, 2005 02:20 PM

johnny: Gutierrez is listed as a CF. Also, the Indians have a surplus of OF'ers. I wouldn't make the deal based on the fact that there's no one out there to play 2b. Otherwise, I'd make the deal. I can't see the Indians picking up Cano either, as they're pretty stocked with 2bmen as well

Posted by: Raf at July 26, 2005 04:53 PM

Steve...How is the wrestling career going?

Posted by: Michael Kay at July 26, 2005 06:22 PM