« The "Team" The Yankees Are Chasing | Main | July 9th vs. The Indians »

July 08, 2005

July 8th vs. The Indians

Is it just me, or, does it seem to rain often for Friday home games this season? Nah, there's no need for a retractable roof in the new Stadium, right? Tell that to Giambi's hamstring.

Tonight's win was big. And, it's not because it's another gem from Obi Wang. And, it's not because the new LOOGY on the block made a contribution. And, it's not because Melky had two hits. Although, all that is nice.

It's because tomorrow is Old Timer's Day (OTD). I've always had a theory on OTD - although it's based on memory, and not fact. It seems to me that the Yankees often lose on OTD - and I think that's because the clubhouse is such a zoo on that day that it's a distraction to the team. Now, throw in the fact that Darrell May is starting for the Yankees tomorrow, and, well, if I was a betting man, and you gave me odds, I would pick the Yankees to lose tomorrow.

So, the win tonight, plus Unit on Sunday, gives the Yankees a chance to win this series - even if they lose tomorrow. That's why this win is a big one.

OK, in closing, tonight, I saw something for the first time - and, I cannot believe that it's taken me all these years to make the connection. And, yes, I know this is sorta-mean, but, do these two somewhat look-alike, or, is it just me?

mel.jpg

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 8, 2005 10:53 PM

Comments

Mo's struggles in the 9th aside, I thought tonight was a very good win. Wang didn't self-destruct after that first pitch HR and pitched a sold game. They scored by moving runners over, hitting to the right spots, etc. And Franklin was impressive. He credits Jorge for knowing what to throw to each batter and he was able to execute. Best of all, they didn't have to use Sturtze tonight. Despite being cold and wet it was really nice game to watch.

It's been fun watching Melky these past 2 days, too. He's a lot shorter than I thought he'd be. One interesting thing is that during the pre-game warmups (when the starting fielders jog and stretch in RF) he stands in shallow right center for about a minute and says a prayer. At first I thought he was adjusting his wrist bands for a really long time but he eventually gave the sign of the cross, kissed his hand and pointed to the sky. OK, so maybe it's not that interesting, but it's something I haven't seen a player do before.

And that Mel/Beavis thing is just scary.

Posted by: Jen at July 9, 2005 12:16 AM

Oh, and Giambi didn't hurt his hamstring. He has a slight strain of his left groin and his stomach muscle. He should be ok for tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

Posted by: Jen at July 9, 2005 12:18 AM

"but it's something I haven't seen a player do before"....I guess you are at the stadium for most games and don't see many other games on TV.

apparently- the new phase in baseball is the ceremonial "kiss the hand and point it up to God" after a basehit, or a big strikeout. I was surprised it has taken this long for someone on the Yankees to get with the program.

SL- I'll take your bet....I am predicting that May is going to be more impressive than everyone thinks. I had May on my fantasy team in 2003

10-8 3.77 210 IP 197 hits .244 BA against. good K/BB ratio

with those #'s on the Yankees- he would have been a 15 or 16 game winner

The report on Giambi is a hip flexor- nothing serious.

Posted by: Philly Phil at July 9, 2005 01:30 AM

Phil, I've seen players do the kiss to the sky thing in a game. I've just never seen anyone on the field actually stand still for a good minute deep in prayer during pre-game.

Posted by: Jen at July 9, 2005 01:46 AM

Thanks for the Giambi update ya'll. When it happened, Justice, Kaat and Kay hinted that it might be hammy. Then, I was on the treadmill for a while and could not hear what they said after that. (Shamed to admit, after the treadmill, I switched off the game to watch the movie "Be Cool." Kinda interesting.)

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 9, 2005 08:39 AM

Jen- ahhh gotcha

Just once- I would love to see someone get a base hit, call timeout, run around in a backwards pentagram and point down to Hades.

Posted by: Philly Phil at July 9, 2005 01:13 PM

Philly Phil..... Maybe a Phillies player has already done that. Thus their history.....

Posted by: Don at July 9, 2005 02:12 PM

ha...good one

Posted by: Philly Phil at July 9, 2005 06:16 PM

Jen,

Well, May was less than impressive but today's loss should be laid at the feet of our clueless leader for his all-world display of numbness in the 9th inning, both top and bottom. I guess Groom and Franklin were "unavailable" due to Joe Torre sleeping on the wrong side of his brain last night. But, worry not, fans, even though Sturtze threw 50+ pitches in a game he entered behind by 4 runs, I'm sure Joe thinks he's good to go for 2+ innings tomorrow. By the way, it probably escaped his memory that Hafner hits left-handed and that he's the bestest, hottest hitter in the Indians' line-up. We lose by the margin of the run Hafner drives in off Sturtze's, what, 36th pitch? And...it pains me to recall this but...why exactly does Torre put on a hit and run play on an 0-1 pitch with no outs and his two fastest runners on base? Does he think his opponents are imbeciles? Why would Wickman throw Cano another fastball when he quite dramatically didn't bunt at the first pitch? He throws a curve, Cano vainly fouls it off, two strikes, Wickman induces the groundball DP (BTW, Joe, Wickman's a sinkerball pitcher. Just thought you'd like to know.) End of game. Lost opportunity to climb within 2 1/2 games of the Sox. Why didn't Clueless just have Cano bunt or hit away on the first pitch? Why the cute tricks? Just why?

Posted by: johnnyc at July 9, 2005 08:35 PM

Yeah, today really sucked. But hey, how about that catch by Roy White during the OTD game?

Apparently Rueben and Bernie talked to Melky after he missed those 2 balls over his head. They told him he's playing in too far. With his speed he doesn't have to worry as much about the bloopers. Even if it falls in it's only a single. It's the ones over his head that will hurt, like it did today.

You're right johnny. While there were way too may fly ball outs and shit like that, and plays that should've been made, Joe really screwed this up. He also left May in one batter too long which lead to another run. Hafner was overdue (he hadn't had a hit all series) and May was done. But, how much do you want to bet that the papers (and probably most fans) lay it all on A-Rod's for failing twice to come up with a clutch hit or walk.

Posted by: Jen at July 9, 2005 09:51 PM

Oh, and how great was it to see Arthur Rhodes come into the game. We cheered for him the same way they cheered when Mo came in at Fenway in the beginning of the year. Of course it would've been ever better if they got a few more across against him.

Posted by: Jen at July 9, 2005 10:12 PM