« Ron Villone & Gil Meche | Main | Tony Roth »

July 25, 2005

Grady Sizemore, &, Now David DeJesus!

From the Seattle Times:

A recent report that the Yankees had a scout here watching Winn is not exactly correct. New York had two scouts at Jacobs Field all of last week, watching Grady Sizemore, among others, on the Cleveland club.

But a man from another club that has interest in Mariners pitchers noted that "the Yankees paid a lot of attention when Winn came up to hit."

The New York Post ran a story yesterday headlined, "Just Winn, Baby." It reported that the Mariners had scouts Dan Evens and Bob Harrison watching the Yankees in Anaheim. Harrison and Evans are based in Southern California and watch a lot of teams play the Angels.

Sizemore is a blue-chipper. And, he could be the Yankees answer to CF for the next decade. But, what would the Yankees have that the Indians would want? And, why, oh, why would the Tribe deal him?

UPDATE: One of my Tribe fan buddies just told me about this:

On Wednesday the Yankees had three scouts at Jacobs Field. Desperate for a center fielder, there was plenty to see -Grady Sizemore and Coco Crisp from the Indians and David DeJesus, Emil Brown and Chip Ambres of the Royals.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at July 25, 2005 01:04 PM

Comments

Chip Ambres is a name that's been talked about and it may be the "under the radar" guy Cashman might swing a deal for. Variously compared to Carlos Beltran, Jay Payton, and Randy Winn, he was a first round pick by the Marlins as a high school senior and Texas football star (QB). He's 25, bounced around a little from Florida to Seattle to Boston and now Kansas City, but considered to have plus range in CF, albeit a weak arm, and though he takes walks, also strikes out 25% of the time. In football terms, he's a high-motor, athletic type. We can get him cheap. I say he's worth a shot. If he turns out to be Jay Payton-lite, that's not bad.

Posted by: JohnnyC at July 25, 2005 02:12 PM

I like Coco Crisp....but I think Randy Winn is the way to go.

Posted by: philly phil at July 25, 2005 02:20 PM

I like Coco's cousin better - Coco Pebbles.

Posted by: josh at July 25, 2005 03:05 PM

Chip Ambres, yeah, I've heard he's the Mark Bellhorn of CFers. Power/Walks/Speed and a BA around .200.

Not sure if AAA patience plays in the bigs where pitchers are less wild?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at July 25, 2005 04:35 PM

I'm thinking about this a little more....why are we getting news regarding the Yankees and the Indians in the Seattle Times?

Posted by: philly phil at July 25, 2005 04:36 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it but Ambres' EQA was .277 (league average .267)so there's some indication that his belated AAA success is not necessarily a fluke. Plus (and believe me I am loathe to credit Theo and the Red Sox organization too much) they did pick him up as a 6 year minor league free agent and he did make the IL All-Star team this year and he is effectively blocked by Johnny Damon should the Sox relent and re-sign him. Could be had for a song, I'm just saying, not making a case for him being the next Mickey Mantle.

Posted by: JohnnyC at July 25, 2005 05:28 PM

Actually, Johnny Damon has nothing to do with Chip not getting called up. Three different outfielders have filled in from the minors in the time Chip was there, so if he was good enough to play in the majors, he would've. He is a virtual strike out machine, a worse arm than Bernie or Johnny Damon (the two worst in all of sports, including my works' softball team), and goes to the plate praying for a walk.

Posted by: Brad at July 26, 2005 03:33 AM