« June 3rd @ The Twins | Main | The Baseball Same Game »

June 04, 2005

June 4th @ The Twins

The long losing streak is over.

There was a clutch 2-out extra base hit in the 5th to bring the Yankees within one (by Cano).

There was a rally in the 8th to tie the game. And, there was good execution of small ball in the 10th to plate the eventual game-winner.

Wang, Gordon and Mo allowed only 7 base runners in 10 innings of work.

I watched the game from about the 2nd inning until the last out in the 10th. Yet, I did not get excited by this game at all tonight. Why?

Is it because it was the kids from Columbus (Cano with 3 hits, 2 RBI and a run scored and Wang with a solid seven) who did all the heavy lifting - and, guys like Giambi, Womack, Tino and Sheffield went 0 for 16? Is it because the six-game losing streak is still resonating in me? Or, is it just me and my mood today?

I have to say that the entire time I was watching this game, I was waiting for the "L" to happen - right up through Rivera at the close. The Yankees have been so bad during the six games prior to this one that they have conditioned me to expect a loss.

Let's hope they can get another win tomorrow and work on cleansing the palate some more.....to the point where wins can be savored properly - at least for this fan.

Does anyone else feel this way tonight?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 4, 2005 11:26 PM

Comments

Yep. When the Twins were batting bottom of the ninth I said, okay, lets get this over. I wasn't wanting a 12 inning or so loss.

Posted by: Don at June 5, 2005 03:03 AM

Any idea why you felt this way?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 5, 2005 08:37 AM

eh, I wasn't expecting a loss.

Posted by: Raf at June 5, 2005 10:27 AM

I've suffered through many bad Yankee losing streaks over the years. They've lost because of lack of pitching, lack of hitting, key players slumping at the same time, running into good teams on a hot streak, and pure bad luck (losing close games on a bad hop or blown call, etc.) This team is not losing for any of those reasons. They have the talent on the field to win 100 games easily. They are losing because they are playing fundamentally bad baseball. They are making dumb mental errors, baserunning errors, failing to advance runners, failing to drive in runners, failing to work the count, to take advantage of pitchers' mistakes and fielding errors. Even when they are winning, they're still making dumb errors and dumb decisions, but getting by with only one element working (a great pitching performance or home run derby against really bad pitching). It's not fun to watch.

Posted by: hopbitters at June 5, 2005 10:28 AM

I felt the same way. I didn't care. I usually get REAL into the games. I act as if I'm there. I'm cheering and and clapping and rooting for players but last night I just wasn't into it.

As much as I'd like to see two consecutive wins I don't have much confidence in KB in the dome.

Posted by: JJay at June 5, 2005 11:08 AM

Wow. I was not alone. Interesting.
I think hopbitters just about nailed it.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 5, 2005 11:17 AM

Why'd I feel that way Steve? They've been such an emotionally draining team this season is as good a reason and not wanting to put any more into that game is another. I'm not surprised at their record though, just how they got there.

Posted by: Don at June 5, 2005 01:35 PM

Sadly, I honestly think this is the best we can hope for: a .500 baseball team.

I just don't understand Torre's way of thinking a lot of the time. And Jeter must have the worst "cold" in the history of mankind to miss back to back games.

Posted by: JJay at June 5, 2005 05:33 PM