« Kevin Reese | Main | The Wildcard Chase »

June 26, 2005

June 26th vs. The Mets

Until the 9th tonight, I thought the entry for today's game was going to be:

Despite the last ugly loss being one of those where you call it one of the most painful ones of the year, pushing aside all the previous stinging losses, along comes another loss to make the last one now seem like the second to most painful one.........

But, that nice comeback in the final frame changes everything - for one night, at least. It sure makes facing the Mets fans at work a tad easier tomorrow AM. (Of course, the Red Sox fans will still be loaded for bear and firing at will.)

Best way to describe this feeling on the win tonight: It's like when you were back in school, and you totally screwed up and did not prepare for something big due that day, and you're sweating bullets over the pain that's coming your way when you arrive.........and, just then, when you get to class you discover that the teacher called in sick and you have new life for another day.

I'm sure there are more than a few in the Yankees organization who now feel like they've been granted another day with the game outcome this evening. If the 4-3 score had held up, given the way the Yankees played in the first eight frames tonight, it would have been a much different morning on Monday for some, no question.

Here's the big question for me on this game: When was the last time that the Yankees used three pinch hitters in a game during the month of June where all of them came into the game before the first out of the seventh inning? Do you think that Torre was feeling some pressure to win this game?

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 26, 2005 11:47 PM

Comments

"Do you think Torre was feeling some pressure to win this game"

you think? That gets my vote for "Obvious Question" of the year award. I would like to send out a very sincere thank you to the Met's bullpen. On this night, you managed to allow Yankee fans to forget everything that happened up to the point you came in. Again, thank you.

PS...Let's hope Baltimore's bullpen fares the same. I doubt it, but let's hope just the same.

Posted by: Paul in Fairfield at June 27, 2005 12:41 AM

Considering the batters hit for were Flaherty, Reese and Womack, it comes as no suprise.

What did suprise me was the hook on RJ. And according to his reaction, Unit was suprised as well.

Posted by: Raf at June 27, 2005 01:00 AM

We found a good use for Giambi and his 87 million dollars...he should only pinch hit in the 9th inning or later when the game winning run is on base....2 for 2 this month.

but that girlie "flip" from Giambi to Gordon that caused two runs to score was one of those "head slap your own face and cover your eyes" moments.....Marlon Anderson scored from 1st base on an 85 foot grounder....are you kiddimg me?

And when will Womack finally be benched? this is enough already....all that move did was change the Yankees from having the worst LF in the majors to the worst CF in the majors. If hits one more can of corn to shallow left center I'm going to poke my eyes with needles.

now lets see if we can take 2 of the next three

Breathing....barely...but breathing.

Posted by: Phil at June 27, 2005 01:02 AM

When Sheff got thrown out of the game I thought that Tino would have to come in and play right field. I completely forgot that Russ Johnson was on the team. They're lucky they didn't just tie it in the ninth.

This win will definitely make Monday morning a little easier (that is if I can ever get to sleep tonight.)

Posted by: Jen at June 27, 2005 01:04 AM

Oh, and we topped 2 million in attendance tonight. If they can keep the pennant race close for the rest of the year, would it be too much of a stretch to think we could get to 4 million? Suddenly those "meaningless" games against teams like Tampa and Toronto get to be a lot more important.

Posted by: Jen at June 27, 2005 01:16 AM

In case nobody noticed, which I'm sure is not the case, Toronto is nobody's doormat anymore- especially if you're unlucky enough to Get Doc Holliday and Lilly. Baltimore is definitely not on the roll they were on a month ago, but underestimating this team is a mistake. I think Pavano and Wang could easily lose those games, and Moose is matched up against Ponson (I think), which should be a good game. The chances of coming back against Baltimore's bullpen is not quite as good as Tampa's and the Met's (those are our last two wins), and Baltimore's closer is just filthy this year.

Posted by: Paul in Fairfield. at June 27, 2005 01:38 AM

Jen - interesting question on the 4-mill. They did 3.8 last year, and pre-sold 3.1, IIRC, this year. So, it's possible - albeit an uphill thing.

But, put it this way - if they're still a .500 team on 8/1, and they're 12 games out, or more, there's no way they're going to get the walk-ups needed to hit four million.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 27, 2005 09:36 AM

//An ESPN cameraman came into the bleachers tonight. When the red light came on we chanted "Joe Morgan sucks". Somehow I don't think that made it on air.//

We did get a brief shot of someone smacking the camera lens late in the game (:

==================================

To piggyback on my comments in another thread WRT a pitcher's W-L record, this game was a perfect example.

Unit put together a pretty solid start, but in the end was sabotaged by the defense (Cano's error, Womack misplay). He was pulled (and who knows, maybe he would've been banged around, maybe he would've gotten the final out), and the pen gave up the go-ahead runs.

Posted by: Raf at June 27, 2005 11:39 AM

As for what would have happened in the field if the game had been tied - one option would have been to move Matsui to right, and keep Tino as the DH. Also, apparently Tino volunteered to play right, but that would have been a bit wierd.

As well, another option was moving Mo to right (but I really don't see how well that would have worked).

Posted by: Mike Z at June 27, 2005 12:33 PM

Actually, once the DH goes into the field, the pitcher must then bat in the spot of the player he replaces.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 27, 2005 12:49 PM

I believe that if Matsui was moved from DH to RF, the Yanks would have lost the DH. The pitcher would have had to bat in the Sheffield/Johnson/Tino spot in the lineup. I think the rules dictate that if you move a DH to a fielding position, you lose the DH for the rest of the game.

Posted by: MM at June 27, 2005 12:55 PM

I agree Steve. You beat me to it.

Posted by: MM at June 27, 2005 12:58 PM

I didn't even think that far ahead to the 10th inning-I was just wondering who could have pinch run for Tino in the 9th!

are any of the pitchers good baserunners? Pavano? Moose?

Posted by: phil at June 27, 2005 01:04 PM

Based on the pitchers to choose from, Tino with a bad foot, was still the best option.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 27, 2005 01:09 PM

by the way Joe Morgan is high on something

I've never heard someone praise Tony Womack so much....does he even follow the game, or does he just want to make out with every 2B in the league?

These were some of the comments:
1) if Jeter steals and gets thrown out- its OK- because you have Womack- who is a great lead off hitter
2) Womack has been a pest on the basepath this year stealing bases at a high rate

Hey Morgan- have you noticed his Avg and OBP? maybe his RBI's, maybe the fact he couldn't hit the outfield wall on a hop when hitting off a tee? maybe the fact that the Green Giant company is going to take add space on Womacks uniform thanks to all the "can of corn" references?

Miller- as usual- had to step in and point out how bad his OBP is and how he has been a major dissappointment. Morgan did not say one bad thing about Womack except when the ball went over his head in CF, and Morgan said "well- that's just inexperience".

God forbid a fellow 2B do anything wrong.

Posted by: phil at June 27, 2005 01:12 PM

Sorry, I meant that Mo would have to move to the RF spot in the lineup. Guess I forgot a couple words there.

Posted by: Mike Z at June 27, 2005 01:55 PM