« June 27th @ The Orioles | Main | "Mantle" on HBO, July 13, 2005 »

June 28, 2005

Behind George's Words

From an AP report:

"My patience is a little short by the fact that the team is not performing up to its great capabilities," Steinbrenner said in a statement issued by spokesman Howard Rubenstein. "The players have to want to win as much as I do."

This is interesting. Who gets the players to "want to win"? It's the manager, right?

I know that I've been calling for a change for the past 7 weeks.

But, would you do something now, after two wins in a row? OK, OK, I know that I said last night that the team should not let these games fool them. And, I'm still standing by that.

It's just that such a move now would play right into the hands of the media. Your current MGR is "winning" (albeit just at the moment) and then you replace him. And, when the new MGR loses his first two games - and, why wouldn't he, it's going to take more than 48 hours to right this ship - what's the press going to do to him?

That's putting the new guy into a bad spot - well, a worse spot that it already is, in my opinion.

Unless Big Stein is thinking about going after coaches and leaving Torre alone, for now? Then, it makes no difference what the team is doing. We'll know soon.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at June 28, 2005 07:41 AM

Comments

Who cares what the press thinks? It's not like Torre's the first manager ever fired. Will the circumstances be any worse than Showalter, Martin, Dent or Howser?

Posted by: Raf at June 28, 2005 09:44 AM

IIRC, Buck and Howser were off season moves, no?

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 28, 2005 10:00 AM

Posted by: Paul in Fairfield at June 28, 2005 10:02 AM

Just get a CF and as Sterling calls it "Freddie Fifstart"...that is all we need to do.

Let's do a quick roster call- because I'm hard pressed to figure out what else we need to do:

Giambi is becoming more than servicable, Tino comes in the 7th inning for D....Cano is fine at 2B, Jeter, A-Rod, Matsui, (Insert CF here), Chef, Bernie as the DH, Posada.

womack to pinch run and give the OF a spell once in a while

Johnson, Mussina, Pavano, Wang, and Freddie

The pen is trickier- but Sturtze, Gordon and Rivera can handle the 7th-9th. Groom might be your specialist, and Quantrill and Stanton are your mop up guys.

Torre will not be fired....especially if they are brining Stick Michael in- he has Georges ear apparently.

Posted by: phil at June 28, 2005 10:06 AM

But, the fact that Torre is not part of this meeting, is not good news for him and/or his staff.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 28, 2005 10:10 AM

//IIRC, Buck and Howser were off season moves, no?//

Yes they were. And you remember how things were after Showalter was let go, right?

The reaction to Howser's firing is a bit fuzzier. But I can't think firing a manager after winning 103 games could've gone over well with the media or the fans

Posted by: Raf at June 28, 2005 11:16 AM

I think not inviting Torre is just another message from the Boss...I think George would love nothing better than to fire Torre, but he really has no good reason, and no good options, and after the yankees won it in 2000, Stein's heart grew three sizes that day.

So- this is his way of sending a message:

"I'm having a BIG meeting with all the important people- and YOU can't come....nanny nanny poo poo"

Posted by: phil at June 28, 2005 11:45 AM

"I think George would love nothing better than to fire Torre, but he really has no good reason..."

Since when did George need a good reason? Or any reason, for that matter?

Posted by: hopbitters at June 28, 2005 01:16 PM

True story. When my daughter turned 2 last year, she hit the "No!" period. And, once, when she said "No!" to me on something, I asked "Why?"

She answered with "Not!" and I said "Not, is not a reason. There's a reason for everything. What's your reason?" And, she looked at me, screamed out at the top of her lungs "NO REASON!!!!!" and stormed off.

I could just see Stein yelling "No reason!" at the meeting today - just like she did that day. ;-)

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at June 28, 2005 01:36 PM

Talking about Dick Howser. There was the memorable GS moment when the Royals were beating the Yanks in the playoffs and GS is leaving the stands in a huff. Next thing we see is GS berating Mrs. Howser as she is sitting in her seat at Royals Stadium. A very-low class moment.

As to 'Freddie' the Yanks already have him, Wang by name. As soon as Brown returns that'll be Wang's role, unless Schmidt comes over from the Giants.

Posted by: Don at June 28, 2005 01:39 PM

//On another note entirely (sorry), it seems that Kevin Brown is not the only jackass in the world who feels the need to beat up things that don't fight back. The Texas Rangers will be without the services of one veteran pitcher in the next go-round due to uncontrollable temper and very, very bad decisions. //

As will the Pirates...