« DerekJeter.com | Main | Damon: Cannot Let The Yankees Overtake Us »

May 25, 2005

May 25th vs. The Tigers

I have to submit that we should start calling Chien-Ming Wang "Obi Wang" from now on - because he is a Jedi Master of the Mound. I was floored during the 8th inning tonight when Kitty Kaat on YES shared that only 2 pitchers in the big leagues, so far this season, have more 1-2-3 innings pitched than Wang: Rocket and Pedro. Throw in that Chien-Ming joined the Yankees after the season started and this is even more amazing.

Obi Wang, indeed.

Speaking of amazing, what can you say about that Jeter play on Marcus Thames' pop-up in the 7th? Throw a black jersey on Jeter, put a helmet on Cano with a star on it, and it's Super Bowl X all over again - with Derek being Lynn Swann pulling in a 53-yarder in the 2nd Quarter (on Mark Washington). Luckily, no one was hurt there.

But, for me, what was most amazing tonight was Torre pulling Jason Albatross, er, I mean Giambi for a pinch-hitter in the 8th with a 2-run led. That, ladies and germs, was an eye-opener. Message to Jason: First they start pinch-hitting for you, and then next you're a piney. Tick, tick, tick.......

I noticed a lot of smiles on the Yankees today early during the game. This is good. It would be even better if they can keep smiling after the next series too. Fingers crossed.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at May 25, 2005 10:16 PM

Comments

The stat for Wang was that his percentage for 123 innings vs. other innings was up there with Rocket and Pedro, not the amount of 123 innings. Still extremely impressive however...

Posted by: Ian at May 25, 2005 10:57 PM

Thanks for the correction - and, agreed, impressive nonetheless. The force is strong in this one.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at May 25, 2005 11:07 PM

What a great game. Just came back from the game. That catch was just amazing by Jeter. That has to be up there with Jeter flying toward 3rd baseline last year. a bit cold tonight.

Posted by: Sean at May 25, 2005 11:21 PM

I would put that ahead of the catch last year. The dive into the stands was after the play. (Although I'm not taking anything away from that play and I feel blessed to have witnessed that game.) This catch was absolutely amazing. Plus, he was able to get up and hold the runners. It's incredible that no one was hurt.

Jeter said he didn't even know that Cano was there which is probably a good thing. He may have hesitated if he knew there could be a collision.

Sean, tonight was cold. But last night was worse. We got lucky that the rain held off until late in the game.

Posted by: Jen at May 26, 2005 12:05 AM

Some encouraging words from Torre after the game too. How he's been so impressed with Cano and Wang making such a big impact on the team. They finally have 2 young guys that weren't called up to be trade bait. I think the fact that he sat Womack tonight instead of Cano has to be a good sign. (or maybe my brain froze and I'm just being overly optimistic.)

Posted by: Jen at May 26, 2005 12:20 AM

Jen's right on: Jeter was thinking pre-dive to get the ball into the infield ASAP. He understood that the catch was trivial unless it holds the runners.

By the 5th or 6th inning it was comical: YES's radar gun reading was displaying 84 mph for every pitch, they didn't turn off the graphic until the 8th. My friend said: "This is the kind of s*** you can laugh about when the team wins 14 out of 16."

Posted by: Jason O. at May 26, 2005 10:14 AM

Well, it was a good catch. Jeter should have called the rookie 2B off, then it would not have been so dramatic. He had to assume that somebody else would be converging on the ball.
I was more impressed by A-Rod's hitting myself.

Posted by: Wahoo Sam at May 26, 2005 03:24 PM

I'm shocked at the people who suggest that Jeter made this play tougher, etc., somehow, such as by not calling off Cano.

That was not some can of corn that guys had a chance to dance under and decide who wanted to take it.

It was a very fast, bang-bang play. Saying that Jeter should have called off Cano is like saying that a catcher should tell the pitcher "no, not the fastball" just as the batter is about to connect with it for a homerun.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at May 26, 2005 05:11 PM