« Thinking Three Days Ahead | Main | Bernie Williams and the HOF »

May 18, 2005

May 17th @ The Mariners

First off, a great win last night. Yankees keep pace with the O's and Sox who also won. And, as West Coast trips can go, this one could not be any better. Also, Pavano was sharp. But, here's the scary part from last night:

In an ESPN.com report, I read that "Torre believes Giambi has been showing good signs and will continue to play this weekend in the interleague series at the Mets."

Why, because Giambi had three hits last night? This is a joke. I saw the three hits. The first one was a pop-up that fell in, the second one was a ground ball, and the third one (the HR) was a breaking pitch that didn't do much, and, in the words of Kenny Singleton, was in Giambi's "happy zone." I'll add that it was hit off a guy with an ERA on 6.27 who already had allowed 6 HRs in 18 IP so far this season.

So, for this output, the Yankees are willing to pull one of their hottest hitters (Tino) out of the lineup, and put one of their worst defenders (Giambi) in the field, for a series in (of all places!) Shea Stadium? Is that enough reward for a bloop, a bleeder, and a BP HR? Why not throw the guy a parade too?

Do the Yankees realize that I have to go to work on Monday and that the Mets fans will be lined up waiting for me to talk about Pedro vs. Giambi, and how many runs Minky saved this weekend vs. how many Giambi let in while in the field?

Joe Torre, why me? What did I ever do to you? Unless, of course, the Yankees want Giambi to embarrass himself this weekend to build a case? Nah, can't be - right? After all, winning ball games is the important thing, no?

Then, why sit Tino to play Giambi? Based on what? There's nothing to support this - zip, zilch, zero, nada.

Unless, of course, if by "continue to play" Joe means that he'll use Giambi as a PH at not leave him on the bench completely. Maybe this is the case? I hope so.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at May 18, 2005 07:13 AM

Comments

I couldn't agree with you more. It's so much worse than this too... I check out the Daily News and they're reporting rumors that say that the Yanks might try to swap some of these promising farm guys (Wang, Cano, Phillips) in order to get Clemens back (he's age 42 right?). I'm sorry, but I truly wish that the only move they'd make would be to not renew Cashman's contract at the end of this season...

Posted by: Athos at May 18, 2005 09:42 AM

If they move Cano or Wang, they should all be lined up and shot. How did Jeter ever stick with this club?

As far as Giambi, I'm going to assume he means pinch-hitting, because they can't be that dumb, can they...?

Posted by: JeremyM at May 18, 2005 09:45 AM

If they sit Tino, Giambi had better go crazy, I mean Jeff Goldblum on a meth bender crazy. (hat tip: Dennis Miller) That said, I don't see how you rationally sit Tino with his current .625 SLG--even with tens of millions buried in Giambi.

I'm nursing a shoulder injury after falling down when I saw Derek Jeter (.420 OBP, .320 AVG) bunting in the first inning.

Athos, if someone said to you: The Yanks could have Nolan Ryan of Bob Feller near the top of their games for the stretch run and playoffs would you be thinking about Chien Ming-Wang or Cano? Clemens is in that category...one of the 10 best pitchers in 100 years.

Posted by: Jason O. at May 18, 2005 10:12 AM

From an AP report:

Torre said before the game, "We certainly need to have him [Giambi] as a regular player."

The manager suggested before the game that Giambi could sit out tonight's series finale without any red flags being raised.

"I think Jason is coming (along)," Torre said. "Whether he plays (tonight) or doesn't I think I've seen enough in the four games we've played. He's had good at-bats."

After his 3-for-4 night, Giambi could receive his first start at first base since April 16 when the Yankees play the Mets this weekend.

Torre will be challenged to get Giambi and Bernie Williams in the lineup during this weekend's Subway Series, where National League rules (no designated hitter) prevail at Shea Stadium against the Mets.

"I'm not saying he's not playing this weekend at first base," Torre said. "I want to get him comfortable right now."

**************Great, huh?

The link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2002278658_webmari17.html

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at May 18, 2005 10:31 AM

Phillips? Eh, maybe. Wang? You can't be serious. Cano? Please, get off the drugs. Seriously, why would anyone with a brain (human that is) trade the likes of these guys for a rental player? Cano is friggin' 22 years old!

Posted by: JJay at May 18, 2005 10:31 AM

BTW, what on God's green earth was a-goin' on (Slim Pickens)
with ump Doug Eddings's strike zone last night?

MLB in-demand gave me the FSN Northwest feed last night, I wonder if the YES guys were talking about it.

Posted by: Jason O. at May 18, 2005 10:43 AM

From the parts that I caught on YES, I didn't hear anything.

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at May 18, 2005 10:47 AM

Clemens should just stay at the Lone Star State and retire, and be a hall of famer.
Giambi cant do anything for this team. He's a DH and nothing more. Even being a DH is doubtful for him. Yankz should buy him out, and he should take the offer cause its really sad/pathetic to watch him play.

Posted by: Sean at May 18, 2005 11:22 AM

Wow, Giambi gets three hits (one a homerun), and should still be taken out back and shot?

I assume you've checked and all of Tino's home runs would have been no-doubters in any major league park, and they were all hit off of "pitcher's pitches" and not mistakes?

Now, I agree I'd prefer to see Tino in the field at Shea this weekend over Giambi, but can you at least give Giambi a little credit?

Posted by: Clay at May 18, 2005 11:31 AM

Recall JG's numbers in his last 4 years in Oakland: That, and his contract, means he should be producing like A-Rod.

I'm still rooting for him, but the Yankees should set very high performance goals. He made his own bed and created the pressure that is currently on him.

Posted by: Jason O. at May 18, 2005 12:17 PM

Jason, I couldn't agree with you more re: Clemens. The problem is that he's only a short term solution. I think that keeping a few younger players that perform well within the team will do more for the Yanks in the longer term as exemplified by the "homegrown" likes of Jeter, Rivera, Posada & Williams...

Posted by: Athos at May 18, 2005 12:37 PM

Clay- I'm siding with you a bit...give the guy some credit here.

Call me naive- but I still think there is a huge upside to Giambi. His OBP is extraordinary for someone who couldn't buy a hit.

Torre tells Giambi to swing the damn bat..and he is...and its working....is he the Giambi of old? not even close but he's showing signs

So we've won 10 in a row and we still aren't happy.

Posted by: Phil at May 18, 2005 01:15 PM

We're all turning into Red Sox fans and looking for the lead lining all the time.

Posted by: Clay at May 18, 2005 01:19 PM

seriously....can we please just sit back and enjoy this streak and stop quibbling over Tino vs. Giambi....beating sub-.500 teams...beating pitchers with 56.00 ERA's....the fact that we are still behind the Blue Jays..trading Cano for Clemens...Joe Torre's batting order...Brian Cashmans bad moves since 1995...etc etc etc.

Let's just enjoy the wins....and leave the Negative Nancy syndrome to the professionals. (aka- Sox Fans pre 2004)

By the way- unrelated- when is Bernie finally going to get the credit he deserves and starts being mentioned as a legitimate HOF candidate?

Posted by: Phil at May 18, 2005 01:40 PM

Thanks for the idea Phil
I'll work something up in a bit

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at May 18, 2005 02:10 PM