« The Ceremonial First Pitch | Main | April 21st @ The Blue Jays »

April 20, 2005

April 20th @ The Blue Jays

Carl Pavano is starting to remind me of a right-handed version of Andy Pettitte. Both of them have that Betty Davis eyes thing going at times. Both of them are big body pitchers that you would expect to throw harder than they really do chuck. Their uni numbers are close - 45 now for Carl, 46 then for Andy. And, it seems like they are alike in the sense that they're capable of throwing a great game or a hosting Tee-ball session. I know many were down on the signing of Pavano based on the "one-year wonder" theory. But, I think I'm going to like him - as I did Pettitte.

Joe T in the post-game said that Big Rube will be a few days with the bicep strain. Now that Bernie's knee is barking - and we can thank Torre for that expression, we never used it before he was here - it could be interesting over the next week or so if an OF goes down or gets tossed from a game. We might see Womack do some emergency OF time.

Those electronic signs on the OF fences at the SkyDome/Rogers Centre are like a nightmare after watching "Bladerunner" and then taking cold medicine. Please, please, please, Big Stein, do not put them in the new Stadium in the Bronx!

Posted by Steve Lombardi at April 20, 2005 10:47 PM

Comments

Scubs, its Bette Davis, not Betty Davis!

Posted by: Ed Rubinstein at April 20, 2005 11:21 PM

E - Lombardi (spelling, on Bette)
There goes the Gold Glove...........

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at April 21, 2005 07:20 AM

Steve, I just wrote exactly that (Pavano ~ Pettitte) to Alex on email before following the link he gave me to your new blog. Good stuff, I couldn't agree more. Also word to the Scooter.

Posted by: Cliff at April 21, 2005 10:35 AM

Thanks Cliff! Great minds think alike! :-)

Posted by: Steve Lombardi at April 21, 2005 11:24 AM

"Please, please, please, Big Stein, do not put them in the new Stadium in the Bronx!"

Please, please, please, Big Stein, DO put them in the new Stadium in the Bronx!...this way Bernie Williams (yes, he will still be the Yankees starting CF in 2009) can run into the void and disappear like Tina Miller in the "Little Girl Lost" episode of The Twilight Zone...

glove up...glove out...glove empty.

Posted by: Repoz at April 21, 2005 05:44 PM

Regarding the screens on the outfield fences of the Rogers Centre (I don't understand why they couldn't have just called it Rogers Field), I have been to two games so far this season (including last nights) and on both occasions have noticed the ball getting "lost" in the screens. It would seem that the problem could be solved by changing the background to dark blue to match the walls instead of that overbright green. I'd be willing to bet they will do that by the All-Star break.

Regarding the game itself, it looked very solid. I was a bit worried when the first batter of the game ripped a hit down the third base line and A-Rod didn't make an effort (didn't even flinch), but my worries proved unfounded. All in all, good game.

Posted by: Mike at April 21, 2005 05:47 PM

Rogers Centre because there's a theater and a bunch of other multi-purpose stuff going on. The "Centre" has a web site. I'll save Steve the ugly link in his comments.

Posted by: Cliff at April 21, 2005 08:39 PM